Stuffed Chicken ( with white wine stuffing)
This is a basic stuffing recipe that can be used for poultry. Make sure to buy free range chicken and do not be intimidated by the looks of the whole animal; in Mediterranean countries we are often in contact with the whole animal and we assure you that you will get used to it.
1 1/2 kg chicken
1 clove garlic crushed
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup raisins, soaked in some wine
200 gr bird giblets, finely chopped
1 cup diced bread
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup white wine
Preheat the oven to 200°C
1. Sauté the onion in a little oil and butter on high heat.
2. Once the onion begins to brown, add the rest of the ingredients and cook for a few minutes.
3. Smother with the white wine.
4. Let it reduce until all the alcohol has evaporated (test: inhale the steam, if you inhale alcohol if it burns you nose it isn't ready!) and there is no more liquid.
5. Take off heat and cool.
6. Stuff the chicken and sow it up to prevent the stuffing from escaping.
7. Bake in the oven for around 1 1/2 hours.
*8. This is usually served with potatoes that are baked in the same pan as the chicken- add a little water and let them cook in the juices from the chicken!