Rooster Braised in Wine (Kokoras Krasatos)
This classic Greek dish is a version of he French coq au vin. It is important that the wine used is a good red wine which together with the allspice and cinnamon adds aroma and savory flavor to the poultry. Traditionally it is served with hollow spaghetti like pasta and plenty of grated Kefalotyri cheese.
1 rooster or chicken segmented
3 medium onions
1/2 cup olive oil
4 ripe tomatoes
1 tbs tomatos paste
3 cloves garlic
4-5 allspice berried
one stick cinammon
1 glass dry red wine
1 cup hot water
- Discard tomatoe skins and grate
- Peel onions and cut in half
1. Season rooster segments and place in a pan with oil.
2. Brown over medium heat on both sides. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the grated tomatoes, tomatoe paste, red wine and olive oil and bring to a boil.
4. Add rooster pieces, onions, spices, garlic and a cup of hot water covering the rooster and stir.
5. Bring back to a boil, season with salt and pepper and simmer covered on medium-low for 90 minutes.