Favaballs with Tomato & Caper Sauce
These crispy fava fritters are perfectly paired with the rich tomato and caper sauce.
Ingredients for the favaballs
6 cups fava already cooked
1 1/2 cup semolina
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
1/4 cup chopped mint
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup semolina for dredging
1/2 cup of olive oil for frying
Ingredients for the tomato & caper sauce
1 cup capers
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions.
1 tin of tomatoes or 1 cup fresh tomato pulp
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine
2 bay leaves (laurel)
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
salt and pepper
1. Mix all the favaball ingredients then shape into 5cm diameter by 1,5-2 cm. high balls.
2. Dredge the favaballs in semolina, fry in olive oil until golden brown and crisp.
3. Drain on paper towels, serve with the sauce apart.
Tomato & CaperSauce:
1. Rinse the capers in water, remove and drain very well in a colander.
2. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet.
3. Sauté the onion and the garlic; add the wine, then add the tomatoes, capers and bay leaves and simmer for half-hour in low temperature.