Sunny-Side Up Eggs With French Fries, Tomatoes And Garlic
The Greeks have probably been eating their eggs like this since the potato made its way there 150 years ago! An easy meal to satisfy the taste buds of many (especially kids); serve it with luscious slices of fresh bread to dip into the yolk!
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 lbs ripe plump tomatoes
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for frying
- Peel and finely chop the tomatoes
- Thinly slice the garlic
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-inch oval slices. Cut each slice into 1/4-inch thick "sticks," and cut each stick at least in half, to get miniature French fries.
1. Heat ample olive oil in a large heavy non-stick skillet, and fry the potatoes over medium heat, turning once or twice, until golden and crisp.
2. Strain the tomatoes and retain only the chopped pulp.
3. Scatter the garlic over the potatoes in the skillet, pour in the tomatoes, season with salt, pepper and oregano, and continue cooking, uncovered over medium-high heat, until the tomatoes are thick (about 10 minutes).
4. Break the eggs carefully over the potato-tomato mixture, so that they are sunny-side up. Spoon some of the tomatoes over them. Cook until the eggs have set to desired consistency.
5. Slide out of the pan and onto a platter gently, trying not to break the yolks. Serve immediately.