Santorini's fava with caramelized leeks
A very simple and original idea for an appetizer or a side dish full of Mediterranean flavors. The caramelized leeks taste incredibly and match perfectly with most pulses.
1/2 kg of split peas fava from Santorini
4 large leeks, cut in medallions
100-200 ml extra virgin olive oil
6 bunches of rocket cleaned and roughly chopped
2-4 tsps of sugar
4-6 tsps of balsamic vinegar
- Cook the fava according to package instructions
- In a large, non-stick frying pan (cast iron preferably) heat the olive oil and add the leeks.
- Lower the heat and fry until the leeks turn to deep amber.
- Add the sugar and stir until the color becomes even deeper.
- Add the rocket, cover the pan and leave to fry for another 6-7 minutes.
- Add a little salt and the vinegar.
Serve split peas having poured leeks and rocket over the top.