Ratatouille Niçoise is a traditional French Provençal stewed vegetable dish, originating (as the name implies) in Nice.
1 1/4 lb zucchini
1 1/4 lb eggplant
1 1/4 lb tomatoes
3 green peppers
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3/4 c olive oil
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste
- Finely chop garlic
- Peel zucchini and eggplant; cut in bite-sized pieces.
- Cut tomatoes and onion in bite-sized pieces.
- Remove seeds and membrane from green pepper and cut into bite-sized pieces.
1. Brown the vegetables separately, sautée in oil over medium to high heat. Start with the onions and peppers.
2. Once each is browned, combine them together into one pan and continue to cook slowly, covered. Add bay leaf, salt and pepper at this time.
3. Cook eggplant next, followed by the zucchini, then the tomatoes with the garlic.
4. In a large pan, combine all ingredients and cook for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold.