These traditional Turkish cookies are called seker pare which means sweet bits in Turkish.
300 gr flour
180 gr semolina
240 gr butter
170 gr icing sugar
1 ½ c.c. baking powder
½ tsp salt
45 50 almonds, blanched
750 gr sugar
600 ml water
½ Tbs lemon juice
Preheat oven at 175° C.
1. Prepare syrup. Boil the water, sugar and lemon juice for 10 minutes; allow cooling.
2. Break the eggs into a glass bowl, add the icing sugar and blend with a hand-held mixer for 3 – 5 minutes.
3. Add a little melted butter, baking powder and salt and continue to mix for a further 5 minutes.
4. Finally, add the flour and semolina and knead until the dough becomes smooth and uniform.
5. Break off a piece of dough (walnut sized), roll into a ball, press the top lightly between the palms of the hands and place in a greased baking pan. Do the same with the rest of the dough.
6. Insert an almond into the centre of each ball. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes.
7. When ready, remove from oven and pour the cold syrup over.
8. Leave it in the syrup for 1 hour before serving.