Chicken Stuffed with Rice and Dried Fruits and Nuts
The stuffing in the chicken recipe is amazing. The mix of rice and fruits is so colorful and tasty.
1 large chicken, about 2 kilos (4 ½ pounds)
olive oil for rubbing
salt and pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup wild rice
2/3 cup basmati rice
2 large leeks, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tbs. butter
1/3 cup golden raisins
8-10 dried apricots
2/3 cup shelled walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
Preheat oven at 200° C.
1. Place the wild rice in a large bowl, cover with water, and let soak for one hour to soften. Rinse and drain.
2. Heat the butter and saute the leeks until soft, about 8 minutes over medium-low heat.
3. Sprinkle with the sugar and continue cooking, covered, over very low heat until the leeks are lightly caramelized, about 7-10 more minutes. Remove and set aside.
4. Place the wild rice in a pot with 1 cup of lightly salted cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the liquid has all been absorbed. Do the same with the basmati.
5. Combine the wild rice, basmati and leeks in a large bowl.
6. Add the raisins, apricots, and walnuts. Toss in the mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Stuff the chicken with the rice mixture.
8. Take the garlic and slip it under the skin of the chicken in various places all over the bird.
9. Rub the chicken with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
10. Place the chicken in a medium size roasting pan, and spoon any excess stuffing around it.
11. Pour the wine over the chicken and roast in oven for about 1 hour.