Baked Lamb with Yogurt (Tave Kosi)
This is an albanian homey dish, traditionally made in the winter, that calls the multiple generations of the family to the table in no time! Once again lamb reigns in the Mediterranean kitchen, and invites other parts of the world to cook it and respect it! Get to know the farmer who bred the animal, it will always be tastier!
1 1/2 kg lamb leg or shoulder
1 cup butter
2 tbs rice
1 kg yogurt
1 tbsp flour
- Cut meat into 4 serving pieces.
Preheat oven to 350°F
1. Season meat with salt and pepper to taste. Dot with ¼ cup butter and bake, basting now and then with pan juices, about 40 minutes, or until well browned.
2. Remove baking pan from oven, stir rice into pan juices, and set aside while preparing yogurt sauce.
3. Combine yogurt with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in beaten eggs until smooth. Set aside.
4. Melt the remaining ½ cup butter and add the flour. Sauté until the mixture becomes smooth.
5. Add yogurt mixture and stir until smooth.
6. Pour yogurt sauce in baking pan, stirring it with meat pieces, and bake for 45 minutes. Serve hot.