Stuffed cabbage ( Croatioan Sarma)
This is the Croatian version of a dolma, once again it is interesting to notice that Mediterranean countries share a lot more than just their sea! Being in the same region, they share similar climate and have had exposure to similar things! The mixture of different meats, and the egg make this quite heavy, though if you make them really tiny you can offer them as a small explosion of taste to your guests!
2 large cabbage heads
6 slices bacon
1 large onion
1 can tomato soup (10 1/2 oz size)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 lb ground beef
3/4 lb ground pork
3/4 lb ground ham
2/3 cup cooked rice
- Chop the onion and bacon in brunoise
- Remove bruised leaves from cabbage and cut out center core. Pour boiling water over cabbages to soften.
- Cook the rice
1. Sauté‚ bacon and onion until bacon is done.
2. Add half the tomato soup.
3. Beat eggs and add salt, pepper, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, ground beef, pork and ham.
4. Add bacon mixture and rice and mix thoroughly.
5. Separate cabbage leaves and drain.
6. Place heaping tablespoon of stuffing at core end of each cabbage leaf and roll carefully, tucking in ends. Place rolls in layers in Dutch oven or heavy kettle.
7. Chop small unused leaves and place on top. Pour remaining soup and add enough water to cover rolls. Cover and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours.