Cod and Chickpea Stew (Garbanzos con bacalao)
This traditional Spanish stew may take days to prepare but it is absolutely worth its wait. It's so light and wonderfully flavorsome!
1 1/2 pounds salt cod filet
1 pound chickpeas
1 cup olive oil
4-5 large tomatoes
salt, to taste
fresh squeezed juice of 2 lemons
- Place the salt cod in a large pot with ample water 36 to 48 hours before cooking it. Change the water frequently.
- Place the chickpeas in a large pot of water to soak overnight.
- Remove both, rinse, and drain.
- Cut the cod into serving-size pieces, about two-inch-by-four-inch strips. Set aside.
- Cut onions in half and slice4
- Peel, deseed and chop tomatoes
1. Place the chickpeas in a large pot with enough water to cover by two inches, and bring to a boil.
2. Simmer over low heat, skimming to foam off the top, for about 50 minutes to one hour.
3. in the meantime, heat one-third cup of olive oil in a medium-size skillet and sauté the onion until wilted.
4. Add the onion and tomatoes to the chickpeas.
5. Season with salt, and simmer for another hour to hour-and-a-half, or until very tender.
6. About 20 minutes before removing chickpeas from heat, add the cod and stir gently.
7. About five minutes before removing, season with salt and add the remaining olive oil and lemon juice.