Tripe with Polenta
Tripe was a common dish once upon a time—a weekly feature of the Italian diet, as typified by the expression "Sabato trippa" —so there are a lot of traditional recipes for making it. This one on top of a splash of polenta is on e of my favorite.
FOR ΤΗΕ TRIΡΕ
600 gr. Iamb tripe
2 lίtres vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stίck
1Tbsp. olive οίl
2 cups onions, carrots, and celery, minced ν' Υ2 cup dry white wine
2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
parmesan shavings for garnish
FOR ΤΗΕ ΡΟLΕΝΤΑ
170 gr. polenta cornmeal
650 gr. water
1 piece sliced bread
20 gr. butter
1. Soak tripe in vinegar water for 24 hours. Boil in stock with bay leaf, cloves, and cinnamon, Let coοl, then chop finely.
2. Sautee vegetables in olive οίl and butter. Add wine. Stir in tripe and tomatoes; cook for 40-45 mins.
3. Season with salt and pepper, Serve trip over polenta. Garnish with parmesan shavings.
1. Τoast bread and remove crust. Place in deep frying pan with water, Using a spoon, tear apart bread in pan and boil for a few minutes.
2. Gradually stir in cornmeal, beating with a whisk until thoroughly combined with water and bread but not lumpy. Bring to boil and simmer over low heat for 45 mins.
3. Using wooden spoon, stir in butter and serve.