Stuffed Eggplants (Papoutsakia)
Eggplants are a mediterranean favorite and are consumed "medwide" ; it must be said though that stuffed eggplant is unique to Greeck cuisine. Delicious!
- Cut the onion as finely as you can
- Wash, seed and dice the tomatoes in cubes of about 1/2cm x1/2 cm
- Slice the eggplants down the center and remove ends; scoop out the center leaving a 1/2cm layer around the edges and set aside.
Preheat oven to 180°C
1. Put olive oil in a medium sized pot and add the onion. Let it cook until tender.
2. Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, tomato and egg plant center, with one cup of water.
3. Let the ground beef mixture cook until all the water is gone. Take off the fire.
4. Lightly fry the eggplants and once done, place them in a roasting pan.
5. Fill each eggplant with a substantial amount of ground beef mixture.
6. Top off with a bechamel sauce.
7. Place in the oven for 45 minutes covered with foil. Uncover for the last 10 minutes and put up the heat.