Spinach Pie with Corn Flour
Spinach pies are found in almost every country along the Mediterranean but in different forms and under different names. This is just one of the versions that is very popular and can be served as a main dish or appetizer.
1 kg fresh corn flour
1 ½ kg fresh spinach
½ kg feta cheese, cut in small pieces
200 g olive oil and
1-2 tbs oil for the pan
1 tsp baking soda
salt and pepper
Preheat oven at 180° C.
- Clean, wash well and finely chop the spinach.
1. Put spinach into a saucepan with 4-5 inches boiling water until it comes to a boil once or twice. Strain well.
2. In a deep bowl stir the flour with 2-3 cups hot water, adding it slowly, so as to form a mush. Take care not to make it too watery.
3. Add the strained spinach, olive oil, soda, cheese, salt and pepper and stir until it becomes a homogeneous mixture.
4. Oil the pan and spread the mixture. Bake for 1 hour.