Shrimp with Tomato and Feta Cheese - Garides Saganaki
Seafood in tomato sauce is a classic preparation in Greece. Topped with feta ,this dish is really something else! For the lovers of shrimp a must, as the sweetness is counterbalanced deliciously with the acidity of the feta! A recipe that is most tasty with one day of maturity on its back.
75 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, cut in cubes
675 gr ripe tomatoes, deseeded, chopped
1 pinch of sugar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
450 gr large shrimps
3 sprigs fresh parsley chopped
75 gr feta cheese cut in cubes
salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions for a few minutes on low temperature.
- Add the pepper and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper to the pan. Let boil on low temperature for about 15 minutes, stirring all along, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the shrimps and parsley to the sauce, and then empty all of it in a fireproof utensil.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for almost 30 minutes, or until most liquid is evaporated.
- Serve hot and accompany with a green salad.