This Cypriot speciality has a burger like interior and is wrapped in caul. Do not shy away from it, it is so delicious that if you get over your initial resistance you will not regret!
600g lamb mince meat
400g veal mince meat
100 ml olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
500 gr skirt-caul from pork or lamb
- Finely chop the onion and parsley (in burnoise)
- Soak the caul in a water and lemon solution for an hour to whiten and soften.
1. Put the minced meat, the breadcrumbs, the chopped onions and parsley, the spices the olive oil and the egg in a large bowl.
2. Knead the mixture until well incorporated.
3. Strain the caul and cut into squares of about 5 X 5 cm.
4. Roll and wrap the stuffing into each piece of caul and bake either in the oven or the grill.
5. Serve the seftalies with lemon wedges, pittas, yogurt and accompy with a small salad of finely chopped tomato and parsley.