Sauce: Caramelised Tomato, Red Pepper and Onion
This flavorful sauce is so delicious and versatile. Serve it as an appetizer, or spread on toasted bread or rusks. For a impressive meal serve with baked potatoes, grilled chicken or fish.
3 red peppers, medium in size
1 yellow or green pepper, medium size
2 kg of ripe red tomatoes
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
2 large onions chopped
2-3 fresh red chilli peppers chopped
3 cloves of garlic crushed
4 tablespoons of capers in brine chopped
1 large bunch of fresh coriander or parsley finely chopped
1. Grill the peppers or heat directly over a gas flame until they are blackened and the skin has blistered.
2. Place in a strainer, cover with aluminium foil and allow to strain for 2 minutes.
3. Slice the tomatoes in half and grate them on a grater.
4. In a frying pan, heat half the quantity of olive oil and sauté the onions until they start to become golden brown, about 15 minutes.
5. Add the chilli peppers and mix for about 1 minute.
6. Add the garlic, combine well and remove the pan from the heat.
7. Strain the contents of the pan through a fine sieve and collect the oil in a bowl.
8. Wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper and pour in the strained olive oil.
9. Add the tomatoes and allow them to cook over high heat, stirring regularly, for about 8-10 minutes or until all their liquid has been cooked off. Set aside and allow to cool.
10. Peel the roasted peppers, remove seeds and finely chop.
11. Place the onion-pepper mixture in a ceramic or stainless steel bowl and add the tomatoes, peppers, capers, the remaining oil and coriander (or parsley), leaving 1-2 tablespoons to use as garnish.
12. Taste and add salt and pepper if required.