Beef baked with Eggplants
Beef and eggplants are a popular Mediterranean combination. Serve this dish with fresh bread.
1 cup (250 ml) olive oil
1 kg eggplants cut in 3-4 cm long
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 kg beef, cubed
2 large onions, roughly chopped
1 tbs parsley, finely chopped
2 large ripe tomatoes, cubed
1 cup broth
1/2 cup water (a little more if needed)
1 tsp. lemon juice
salt & pepper
Preheat oven at 180° C.
1. Bring beef to a boil and cook on high heat for 35 minutes. Save 1 cup of broth.
2. Strain eggplants.
3. Arrange beef and eggplants in an oven proof dish.
4. Mix tomatoes, onions, parsley, lemon juice and saved beef broth.
5. Add mixture over the beef and eggplants.
6. Drizzle oil and 1/2 cup water over top.
7. Bake covered for 20 minutes in a hot oven. Lower temperature and bake for a further hour.
8. Turn off oven and leave for a further 20 minutes uncovered.
9. Serve warm, although the flavors are best at room temperature.