Stuffed turkey is traditionally associated with celebrations, here at Gourmed we suggest you stick to this traditional nature and prepare it for a special feast accompanied by various vegetables, raw and cooked that will balance its "bigness".
1 turkey, 4-5 kg, cleaned
For the stuffing
650-750 gr milk-fed lamb offal finely chopped
3-4 onions pureed
3-4 tbsp of goat milk's butter/ cooking fat
6 cups of water
2 cups of pilaf rice
2 kg of potatoes
1 kg lemons
5 tbsp honey
150-200 gr pine nuts (optional)
1. Sprinkle with salt and cover with a mixture of lemon juice and honey; set aside in a bowl for 1-2 hours.
Preheat oven to 200°C
2. Boil the offal of offal . Once the offal is cooked, discard the liquid, wash the offal well, and use only the liver. You can cook the rest to serve as meze (snacks).
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan and lightly sauté the onions.
4. Add the finely chopped liver and sauté lightly.
5. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add the rice, stir 2-3 times, reduce heat to a low and simmer gently until all the liquid has been absorbed.
6. Remove from heat, cover with a tea towel and set aside for 10 minutes.
7. Remove the turkey from the bowl and place in a ceramic cooking dish. Stuff the turkey.
8. Prepare a needle with double thread. Take care that no stuffing escapes. Spoon the stuffing into the turkey and add 2 heaped tablespoons of goat’s milk butter. Sew the belly up.
9. Stuff and sew the neck region in the same way, adding 2 tablespoons of goat’s milk butter.
10. Sprinkle the turkey again with salt and pour a cup of water into the base of the ceramic cooking pot.
11. Cover and place in an oven and reduce temperature to 160°C – 180°C, depending on the type of oven. .
*There is no need to turn the turkey over, just add a little water if necessary, and baste with the liquids every 15 minutes
12. Prepare the potatoes: Peel and slice, and place in water to prevent discoloring.
13. About 1 1/2 hours into the turkey cooking time, remove from the oven and place the potatoes around it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add 2 tbsp of cooking fat, the juice of 4-5 lemons and 1-2 glasses of water (if necessary).
14. Allow to roast for another 30-40 mintues.
15. Once ready, arrange the turkey in a platter with the potatoes tidily around it.