Squid with Spinach
An intense dish, nicely accompanied with a dry white wine. Original, definitely flavorful and nutritious! Serve with some plain rice or fresh country bread. Squid and spinach, what else could you ask for?
800 gr spinach
1300 gr fresh squid
2 chili peppers
1 onion in brunoise
2 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Clean and wash the spinach. Roll up several leaves together and slice thinly.
2. Parboil the spinach for a few minutes in boiling water, drain in a colander.
3. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Sprinkle with salt and press the spinach against the sides of the colander with a wooden spoon. Let drain while you prepare the squid.
4. Clean the squid and rinse well with water. Cut the body in thick pieces and the wings in thick stripes.
5. Put just enough oil in your non-stick frying pan to layer the bottom, heat well, and brown the squid with the chili peppers for five minutes. Put on a plate for later use.
6. Gently heat olive oil in a cast-iron saucepan and brown the onion until you have an all rounded colour.
7. Add the spinach, and sauté until dark green in colour.
8. Add the squid, the tomatoes and the tomato paste. Simmer for 15-18 minutes or until the squid is soft and the tomato has become less acidic.
9. Just before you take off the heat, add salt and pepper to taste.