Spicy North African Soup with Capers
The distinctive flavor of capers adds a piquant and sour touch to this spicy traditional vegetarian North African soup.
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tbs of crushed garlic
1 1/2 tsp of freshly ground coriander seeds
1 tbs of freshly ground caraway seeds
1 tsp of harissa
1 tsp of coarse pepper
1 tbs of tomato paste
1/4 cup of fine semolina
1/3 cup of coarse cracked wheat
3-4 tbs of fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup of capers in brine, well rinsed in plenty of running water
1 pickled lemon with spicy paprika, rinsed and sliced thinly (optional)
salt, as much as desired
4 tbs of fresh coriander or parsley chopped
1. In a saucepan, combine the olive oil, the garlic, coriander, caraway seeds, harissa and coarse pepper.
2. Cook over medium heat and stir the ingredients until they are lightly sautéed.
3. Add the tomato paste, and 4-5 cups of water.
4. When the soup comes to the boil, add the semolina and the cracked wheat, stirring constantly.
5. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, then add the lemon juice, capers and pickled lemon.
6. Sprinkle with the finely chopped coriander or parsley.