Pan-fried Wrinkled Black olives with Onions, Oregano and Garlic
This is a wonderful and delicious Mediterranean appetizer that can be enjoyed with ouzo or tsipouro.
1/4 cup extra-virgin Greek olive oil
250 g wrinkled black olives
1 large red onion, peeled, halved and cut into thin half-moon slices (about 3 cups)
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 tsp Greek oregano
2 tbs strong red-wine vinegar
2 small hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
3 radishes, trimmed and sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
1 Belgian endive or radicchio, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch strips
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet and add the olives.
2. Sauté over medium-high heat for about three minutes, turning with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the onions and sauté all together, stirring frequently, for about seven minutes.
4. Add the garlic, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking until the onions are very soft and very lightly browned.
5. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon oregano and the vinegar. As soon as the vinegar sizzles, remove the skillet from the heat.
6. Remove the fried olives and onions with a slotted spoon and reserve the pan liquids.
7. Place the olive and onion mixture in the center of a serving bowl, with the Belgian endive or radicchio leaves all around it.
8. Place the hard boiled eggs and radishes decoratively around the plate.
9. Pour over pan juices, season greens to taste with salt and sprinkle the whole plate with remaining oregano.