Lamb Burgers With Minted Yoghurt Sauce -Yaourtlou Kebap
These delicious Middle Eastern lamb burgers are a creative alternative to hamburgers, certain to please even the most gourmet palates.
For the yoghurt sauce
12 ounces plain yoghurt
2 small garlic cloves
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbs shredded fresh mint leaves - or to taste
2 lb ground lamb
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped pitted Kalamata olives - 12 to 15
6 small pita loaves
2 small vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
2 small green bell peppers, cut in rings
1 red onion,sliced thin
some sumac to decorate the yoghurt
Prepare grill and oil rack. Set grill 5-6 inches from charcoals.
- Chop olives
- Slice tomatoes
- Cut peppers into rings
- Slice onion thin
1. In a bowl gently combine the lamb, feta and olives.
2. Form into 6 oval patties about 1" thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Grill for about 7 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Mince and mash the garlic with the salt.
- Shred mint leaves
- Drain yoghurt in a sieve lined with a dampened paper towel set over a bowl for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a small bowl and combine with the garlic and mint.
4. Split pitas to form a pocket.
5. Transfer burgers to pita pockets and top with tomatoes, bell peppers and onion. Serve burgers with yogurt sauce and sumac on the top.