Lamb with Artichokes and Fava Beans
Combining artichokes and fava beans with lamb is common practice in Greece. The delicate taste of these vegetables are worthy partners for the strong taste of the lamb.
2 kg lamb (leg or blade pot roast) cut in pieces
8 artichokes cut in four and put in water with lemon.
500 gr fresh fava beans, pods removed
2 dry onions chopped
4 fresh onions chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 bunch dill finely chopped
1 cup white wine
1 tbsp thyme
½ cup olive oil
juice of 2-3 lemons
2 tbsp cornflour
½ cup yogurt
Peeling the fava beans
1. Put a medium pot of water on the fire to boil and prepare a bowl of cold water with ice.
2. Blanch the fava beans in the boiling water for 30-45 seconds.
3. Now plunge them in the freezing water.
4. The skin should slid off easily.
Making the dish
1. Sauté the finely chopped dry onions with the garlic in the olive oil, add the meat, and add salt and pepper.
2. Add the thyme and pour in the wine. Let boil for 10 minutes or until all the alcohol has evaporated.
3. Add water or broth enough to cover the meat . Let cook over a medium heat for 1 hour and then add the artichokes and fava beans. Leave for another half an hour until the meat softens but careful that the vegetables do not overcook. (Add water whenever necessary throughout the cooking process)
4. When it is ready, stir in the yogurt, half a cup of cold water, the lemon juice, the fresh onions, the finely chopped dill, the cornflour and add the mixture to the pot. Give it a good stir, and leave for another 5 minutes over medium heat, the sauce should become a nice light thickness. If it has not reached the desired texture let it boil for a while longer or add some more cornflour diluted in water.
5. Serve placing the lamb pieces in a platter first, then scoop out the vegetables, place them carefully around the meat and then pour the sauce over it all.