Fish Fillets in Walnut Sauce, Salonika
This Salonika fish recipe is full of omega oils and very simple and quick to prepare and cook, but is elegant enough to serve at a dinner party.
6 large fish filets, preferably carp
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups matzo meal
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
salt, pepper to taste
1. Season half the matzo meal with salt and pepper and spread on a plate.
2. Dip each fillet into the beaten egg then dredge in the matzo meal.
3. In a large heavy skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and brown the fillets. Remove and drain on paper towels.
4. Add the vinegar, water, remaining matzo meal, and olive oil to the skillet.
5. Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes, until a light sauce has formed.
6. Place the fillets in the sauce. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. When done, arrange the fillets on a serving platter. Pour over the sauce and sprinkle liberally with the chopped walnuts.