Chios Eggplants with Feta Cheese and Basil
Grilled eggplant has a wonderful smoky quality to it. This versatile dish from the island of Chios can be served as an appetizer, a vegetarian main course or as a side dish to chicken or pork.
4 eggplants, medium size
6 tbs feta cheese, hard type sliced in cubes
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs fresh parsley chopped
1. Place the eggplants over charcoal or on the oven grill and cook both sides well.
2. Pick a pointed knife and curve along eggplants to let the juice strain out. Cut in half.
3. Mix the feta cheese cubes, parsley, garlic and olive oil in a bowl.
4. Fill in the eggplants with the stuffing from the bowl.
5. Place eggplants on grill again for 10 minutes, or until the feta cheese melts.
6. Serve eggplants open as soon as you take them out of the oven with a sauce of your choice.