Broccoli in Olive Oil
Simple and delicious this healthy side dish goes perfectly with almost anything!
3 cups (750 ml) olive oil
1 large broccoli, cut into florets
2 dried bay leaves
3 cups white wine vinegar
2 cups white wine
3-4 strips of lemon peel
1 tbs salt
1. Wash broccoli well, strain and let dry between two cloth towels.
2. In a large saucepan, boil water, vinegar, wine, bay leaves, salt and lemon strips.
3. Add broccoli florets and boil on low heat for a further five minutes.
4. Remove broccoli with slotted spoon and let dry and cool on cloth towel.
5. Place florets in a clean, dry jar, add peppercorns and cover with olive oil.
6. Leave to soak for 10 minutes and if required, add more oil to make sure that the vegetables are completely covered.
7. Store in cool and dry place.