Petimezopita (Spiced Cake with Grape-Must Molasses)
This Greek spiced cake has a very unique unique flavor which tastes like a cross between carrot cake and gingerbread.
2 cups olive oil
2 cups petimezi
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp whole cloves
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup ouzo or raki
juice and grated zest of two large oranges
4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup sesame seeds mixed with two tbs sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
1. Bring the water, cinnamon and cloves to a boil. Remove from heat, cool, and strain, discarding the spices.
2. Using an electric mixer beat together the olive oil and sugar until creamy.
3. Add the spiced water and beat for a minute or so until combined.
4. Add the ouzo and grated zest and mix to combine.
5. Dilute the baking soda in the orange juice and add it to the liquid, mixing.
6. Slowly add the sifted flour, mixing until a thick batter forms.
7. Lightly oil a 12-inch round springform pan.
8. Pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle the sugared sesame seeds on top.
9. Bake until set and until a toothpick inserted inside the center of the cake comes out clean, about one hour. Remove, cool in the pan and serve.