Stuffed Zucchini with Egg and Lemon Sauce
Traditionally stuffed zucchini required a great deal of time to prepare, and for this reason was reserved for special occasions. They were mainly prepared in the summer, at the time when vegetables were in abundance and here at Gourmed we beleive that we should treat vegetables the same as they did in the past.
For the stuffed zucchini
1.5 kg of zucchini, medium sized, suitable for stuffing
1 large onion, finely chopped
400 gr minced meat
1 tablespoon of rice per courgette
1 cup of courgette flesh
1.5 tablespoons of dried mint or, if fresh, finely chopped
1.5 cups of olive oil
3 cups of water
For the egg and lemon sauce
2 egg yolks and 1 egg white
½ cup lemon juice
1 level tbsp corn flour
Wash the zucchini, remove the stalk and the dry part on the opposite end; cut a 1.5 cm piece off at the stalk end and set aside – it will be used as a cap. With a special vegetable gadget, remove the flesh and set aside. Cover the courgettes and set aside. Wash and grate 1 cup of zucchini.
For the stuffing
1. Heat a little oil in a pan and sauté the onion. Once it begins to look transparent and brownish add the minced meat.
2. Allow water to evaporate completely and stirr vigorously so as not to get any big meat balls.
3. Remove from heat and add the rice, 1 cup of grated courgette, mint, salt and pepper, and combine well.
4. Fill the courgettes with a small teaspoon (don’t overstuff as the rice will expand) and cover with the cap.
5. Arrange the courgettes upright or slanting in a saucepan, add salt and plenty of pepper, pour in the water and the oil, cover and simmer over medium heat to begin with, then reduce to low.
6. When cooked, make sure there is plenty of liquid in the pan. If not, add a little water.
For the egg and lemon sauce -avgolemono
1. Beat the eggs and combine with the lemon juice, nutmeg and corn flour.
2. Remove the zucchini filled saucepan from heat and ladle out some of the liquid.
3. Pour this very gradually into the egg and lemon mixture, whisking constantly.
4. Repeat this procedure until the egg and lemon sauce is at approximately the same temperature as the dish.
5. Pour the egg and lemon into the pan, swirl the pan to evenly distribute the sauce. Bring to a boil on medium heat and quickly remove.
6. Serve on a platter, arranging the zucchini one by one and pour gin the egg lemon sauce on top.