Meat and Pasta: Beef with Egg Noodles - Vrasto me hilopites avgolemono
The creamy lemony avgolemono sauce adds a special touch to the classic Greek dish of beef and egg noodle pasta (hilopites). Usually cut into squares, hilopites are so simple but so good and are an all time Greek classic complement to meat and poultry. Rice can be used instead.
1/3 cup olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2-2 ½ kg beef shank, bone in, whole, washed and trimmed
salt and pepper to taste
500 gr Greek hilopites or other egg noodles
juice of 2 lemons
1. Heat the olive oil and add the onions to the pot.
2. Cover, lower heat, and "steam" the onions in the oil until very soft, about 15 minutes.
3. Add 3 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil.
4. Add the meat, season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer over low-medium heat for about two hours, or until the meat is very tender and almost falling off the bone. Skim the foam off the surface of the water as the meat cooks.
5. Remove meat and set aside.
6. Add four cups of water to the pot, season with salt and bring to a boil.
7. Add the noodles and simmer until done. Do not drain.
8. Remove the noodles with a slotted spoon and spread on a platter, tossing with a little olive oil to keep them from clumping together. Place the meat in the center of the platter, on top of the noodles.
9. Beat together the eggs and lemon juice until frothy.
10. Take a ladleful at a time of the broth and add it to the egg-and-lemon mixture in a slow steady stream, beating all the while.
11. Do this with another ladleful of broth then pour the mixture into the pot and stir to combine.
12. Pour the avgolemono over the meat and noodles and serve immediately.