Turkish-Style Chicken with herbs
There's something special about this recipe that makes it better than another, that is that the rice is cooked alongside the chicken and vegetables tying all the aromas together fantastically!
4 lb chicken, cut in 12 pieces
3 large tomatoes
2 bell peppers
1 cup kalamata olives
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp coriander seed, ground
1/2 tsp saffron
4 tbsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
2 tbsp white raisins, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
1 lb long-grain white rice
salt and pepper, to taste
tabasco sauce, to taste
1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Peel seed and chop the tomatoes
- Chop the onions, pitted olives and peppers in brunoise
- Grate the garlic
- Soak the raisins in water for 30 minutes
- Piece the chicken
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Oil a large casserole and brown them well. Lower the heat until they are nearly cooked through. Remove the pieces and set aside.
2. Add onions to the oil left in the pan and cook until soft. Add bell peppers and cook a few minutes. Add garlic, bay leaf and ground coriander.
3. Add the tomatoes and boil well until the water has evaporated.
4. Stir in rice until well coated with the oil. Stir in the cumin and saffron. Add the raisins.
5. Return chicken pieces to pan. Pour 2 cups of boiling chicken stock. Cover the pan. Turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the olives and continue simmering 10 to 15 minutes until rice is cooked.
*Add some drops of Tabasco if you like spicy things!
6. Serve pipping hot.