Spinach Pie (Spanakopita)
This crispy flaky pastry stuffed with spinach, feta cheese, onions, and herbs is the traditional Greek spanakopita and it can be eaten as a savory treat any time of the day.
For the filling
1 kilo (2 pounds) fresh spinach
1 bunch parsley
1 bunch fresh mint
7-8 spring onions
1 kilo (2 pounds) feta cheese, mashed with fork or grated if hard
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp powder nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt (careful if feta cheese is salty)
For the phyllo pastry
1 packet (1/2 kilo - 1 pound) store bought phyllo pastry
4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven at 180° C.
- Roughly chop spinach
- Finely chop parsley, mint
- Finely siice spring onions
- Mash feta
- Beat eggs
1. Place spinach and aromatic herbs in a large bowl. Season. Squeeze with hands to remove excess liquids. Drain.
2. Add feta cheese, beaten eggs and spices. Brush with oil a 30 cm (11 1/2 inch) diametre high baking dish.
3. Divide phyllo sheets in two parts. Line one sheet flat in the bottom of the baking dish and fold it up on the sides. Repeat until 4-5 sheets are used, brushing each one as it is added.
4. Add the filling. Trim the edges of the pastry, sticking out around the dish with a sharp knife.
5. Cover with the rest of the phyllo sheets, brushing each one with oil. Cut the pastry in diagonal parallel lines, about 4 cm. (1 1/3 inch) apart and then cut it across to form diamond shapes.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.