Mini Olive and Leek Pies (Eliopites)
You have two options with these pies to make them bite size with walnut size pieces of dough or you can make a whole round or square pie, dividing the pastry in two and using half for the bottom and half for the top of the pan, spreading the filling evenly in between. The sweetness of the leek with the acidity of the olives make for a very balanced taste.
2 cups warm water
1 tbsp (one package) dry yeast
1 tbsp sea salt
5 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
For the filling:
1/3 cup olive oil
2 medium onions
1 1/2 cups black juicy olives, like Amphissa, pitted and halved
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup parsley,
1/3 cup fresh mint
Freshly ground pepper
3 tbsp milk for brushing
3 tbsp sesame seeds to sprinkle (optional)
Preheat the oven to 200°C
1. Dilute the yeast in 11/2 cup warm water.
2. Place the flour in a food processor or a mixer equipped with dough hooks. Add the salt and with the motor running, pour in the yeast mixture, the lemon juice, olive oil and the rest of the water, as needed.
3. Process for about 1 minute, to get a smooth dough that forms a ball in the processor.
4. Turn out onto a floured surface and shape into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for about 35 minutes, until doubled.
5. Finely chop all the vegetables and herbs.
6. Take cupful pieces of dough and flatten them with a rolling pin or your hands, to make saucer size disks. Let them stand, while you prepare the filling.
7. In a skillet warm the olive oil and sauté the onions and leeks, until soft and transparent. Add the olives, pine nuts, parsley and mint and remove from the heat. Season with pepper and taste to adjust the seasoning.
8. To fill the little pies, put 2 tablespoons of the filling on each disk of dough, brush the borders with a little water and fold them in half, to cover the filling and obtain pillow like little pies.
9. Brush with a little milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if you like. Bake for about 45 minutes, until golden brown. Let them cool on a rack, and serve them warm or cold.