Mediterranean Rice with Lentils and Caramelised Onions
Vegetarian recipe for a delicious, healthy, filling, and inexpensive pilaf of rice, lentils and caramelized onions.Serve on a platter, garnished with slices of lemon, spring onions and yogurt. A little olive oil can also be pored over the rice.
250 g of red lentils
1/2 cup of olive oil
4 onions, sliced
300 g of basmati rice
50 ml of balsamic vinegar
1 tsp of allspice
Optional, for garnish
finely chopped spring onions
- Slice onions
- Finely chop spring onions
1. Cook the lentils in a pan of boiling water for approx. 15 minutes; drain well.
2. In another pan, sauté the sliced onions in the oil, add salt and pepper and the allspice.
3. Douse with balsamic vinegar.
4. Reduce heat and cook for approx. 45 minutes or until they become caramel colored and soft. Add water if necessary.
5. When the onions are ready, put 60 ml of water in a pan, add the basmati rice, the lentils and the caramelised onions; cook over low heat, without stirring, for approx. 20 minutes until the rice is done.