A spongy, moist, and heavy apple cake; satisfy an afternoon sweet craving, enjoy as an original breakfast option or bring it as a gift to a friends house or the office! Use apples when they are in season, the more aromatic the better!
1 cup olive oil
1 ½ cup brown sugar
½ kg self-rising flour
1 ½ cup milk
2 large apples (the sour kind)
1 tsp cinnamon
Peel the apples and cut them in very thin slices or in irregular small pieces.
Preheat oven to 175°C
1. Whisk the olive oil with the sugar.
2. Add the eggs one by one to the mixture, while continuing to whick the mixture on low.
3. While still whisking the above mixture, add the flour alternately with the milk in three parts.
4. Dab a pan with olive oil and empty ¼ of the mixture in it. Spread 1/3 of the apples over it and sprinkle with 1/3 of the cinnamon. Proceed in the same way, until the apples are covered with the remaining cake mixture.
5. Bake in oven for about 1 hour. Remove the apple cake from the baking pan while still lukewarm and sprinkle it with caster sugar if you like.
* Either use two medium loaf tins or a large and deep round or rectangular cake tin