Enjoy this simple but delicious apple cake with fresh coffe or herbal tea on a vibrant spring afternoon, in the garden, on the terrace or on a picnic accompanied by loving friends or family! (Try substituting the apple with pear, or even pine apple!)
100g fresh butter
1/2 cup sugar + 4 tbsp sugar (kept apart)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups self rising flour or the same amount of flour with 1 tsp of soda
4 apples, peeled and grated
icing sugar (for decoration)
- Pass the apples through the onion grater and place in a bowl.
Preheat the oven to 175°C
1. Beat the butter, ½ cup sugar, the eggs and the cinnamon together.
2. Add the flour in doses, and keep beating.
3. Use a pan of your choice. Some suggestions are, a rectangular baking pan, a decorative cake mould, a loaf pan; remember, the type of pan you choose will define the shape and height of your cake.
4. Butter a pan, pour half the mixture into the pan, then add the apples and sprinkle them with the 4 tbsp of sugar you have put aside .
5. Add the rest of the mixture and bake for 35-40 mintues until you have a golden brown crust.
6. Take out of oven, allow to cool and decorate with icing sugar.