Lentil Soup with Chard or Spinach
Nutritious and tasty lentil soup pairs wonderfully with all kinds of greens especially, spinach or chard.
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to drizzle in at the end
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 cups baby lentils, preferably organic, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
1 lb. (500 gr.) fresh chard of flat-leaf spinach, trimmed, washed and drained
8 cups water
salt and pepper
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot and cook the onions and garlic, stirring frequently, over low-medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the lentils and stir to coat.
2. Add the tomatoes and greens. As soon as the greens wilt, add the water.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer the soup for about 50 minutes, until the lentils are very tender. Add additional water during cooking to adjust the consistency of the soup to the thickness you desire.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Five minutes before removing the soup from the heat, add the vinegar.
6. Just before serving, pour in about 1/4 to 1/3 cup more olive oil. Serve hot.