Leek and smoked ham Greek tart
Based on a favorite Greek dish, the leek pie, this is a meaty version. The sweetness of the leeks pairs well with the smoked ham and it is always a party favorite.
for the short crust pastry
250 gr all purpose flour
125 gr butter, cold
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
50 ml cold water
for the filling
1 kg leeks
150 gr smoked ham cut into cubes
150 gr Greek feta cheese, crumbled
200 ml low fat creme
80 gr Gruyere or other hard cheese
zest of two oranges (optional)
- For the crust, sift the flour and cut the butter into chunks. Work with your hands so that it becomes like breadcrumbs.
- Add the eggs and the water slowly and work into dough, but do not overwork. If it is still sticky, just add some more flour.Cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge for half an hour and then roll out into a circle and fit into a 29 cm tart pan. Chill for at least half an hour.
Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Prick the crust with a fork, line it with foil, fill it with baking beans or rice and blind-bake it for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the beans and paper/foil.
- Prepare the leeks. Remove the green parts, wash well, and slice them thinly into rounds.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil and add the leeks. Stir for a couple of minutes, add 2 tbsp of water and simmer until the leeks have softened. Towards the end add the smoked ham.
- It is important that there are no juices left in the pan.
- Combine the leeks with the crumbled feta cheese in a large bowl. If you want a more exotic flavor, stir in the orange zest. Cover the pie crust neatly with the filling.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk until they have combined and pour them over the filling.
- Grate the gruyere on top and bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until golden.