Lamb Fricassee Lamb - Arnaki Frikase
A classic Greek dish served on the islands as well as the mainland, from the Ionian to the Aegean. It is customary to prepare this dish after the Easter holidays, since that’s the best time to find suckling lambs, while lettuces and dill can be found in abundance in the local vegetable markets.
45 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 onion finely sliced
1 kg mutton leg cut in 4-6 servings
2 lettuces finely chopped
6 spring onions
6 sprigs dill chopped and some extra for garnishing (optional)
1 tbsp corn-flour dissolved in ½ cup of water
juice of one lemon
1. Heat the olive oil in a wide and low pot. Add the onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, till transparent.
2. Turn up the heat add the pieces of meat and keep cooking, turning the meat often to brown , up to the point that the water has evaporated. This will take about 15 minutes.
3. Add as much salt as you want, and fill the pot with hot water to cover the meat. Cover the pot and boil over low temperature, for about 1 hour, until the meat becomes tender.
4. Add the lettuces, spring onions and dill to the pot. If needed, add some extra hot water, as long as all the greens are covered. Cover the pot and keep boiling for another 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove pot from fire and let cool for 5 minutes, as long as it takes you to prepare the avgolemono sauce.
Preparing the avgolemono.
1. Beat the eggs lightly in a bowl, add the corn-flour and keep beating until you get a smooth crème.
2. Add the lemon juice and while lightly beating, gradually add 5-6 tablespoons of the food’s fluids.
3. Pour the avgolemono sauce over the meat. There is no need for you to stir, simply shake the pot to allow sauce to get to the bottom of the pot.
4. Place pot on fire for another 2-3 minutes until sauce is heated but doesn’t boil. Serve on heated plates, garnished with dill.
*Make sure that there are plenty of fluids in the pot, to make the superb avgolemono sauce with.