Lamb and Cheese Strudel
This Greek strudel recipe calls for lean ground lamb, feta or goat cheese, and chopped spinach to create a delicious filling for pre-made frozen phyllo dough. With the make-ahead directions, you can prepare the phyllo rolls up to 3 months before a get together or party and then bake them just before your guests arrive.
8 ounces lean ground lamb
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 & 1/4 cups crumbled feta or soft goat cheese (chevre)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp dried oregano or basil
6 sheets frozen phyllo dough (17x12-inch rectangles)
1/4 cup melted butter pepper and salt but beware of the feta (often salty)
Preheat oven at 400° F.
1. Cook and stir lamb first, then onion in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Remove from heat. Drain fat. Add spices and aromatic herbs then spinach, cheese, stirring until well combined.
2. Work with one sheet of phyllo at a time, keeping remaining sheets covered with plastic wrap or a moist napkin until needed.
3. Lightly brush one sheet of phyllo with melted butter.
4. Place a second sheet of phyllo dough on top of the first; brush with butter.
5. Add remaining phyllo sheets one at a time, brushing each with butter.
6. Cut stack of phyllo in half crosswise with a sharp knife.
7. Spread half of the lamb and cheese filling lengthwise on each phyllo stack.
8. Filling should be within 3 inches of phyllo's long sides and 1-1/2 inches of short sides.
9. Fold short sides of phyllo toward center. Fold one long side of phyllo over filling, then roll up.
10. Place phyllo rolls, seam sides down, on a large cookie sheet.
11. Brush with remaining melted butter; sprinkle with additional nutmeg.
12. Diagonally score the top of the phyllo rolls, making the cuts 1 inch apart and 1/4 inch deep. (Do not cut completely through the phyllo.)
13. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
14. To serve, slice phyllo rolls on scored lines.