Island Bream Baked with Okra
This Greek sea bream baked with okra has a Caribbean flavor to it.
750 gr fresh okra cleaned
1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
2-3 lbs. sea bream, gutted and scaled
strained juice of 1 lemon
salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup olive oil
2 medium onions, quartered and sliced onions thin
2 cloves garlic pressed
8-10 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch dill, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
Preheat oven at 190° C.
1. Rinse the okra and place in a large bowl. Toss with 1 cup of the vinegar and set aside for about 30 minutes. Strain.
2. Pat fish dry. Place in a shallow pan and season inside and out with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and let stand for one hour.
3. In a large enough pot to hold all the okra, heat 1/3 cup of olive oil.
4. Add onions and cook over medium heat until translucent.
5. Add garlic and stir once or twice, then add okra, stirring gently to combine.
6. Pour in tomatoes and wine. Cover the pot and simmer over medium-low heat for 35-40 minutes, until the okra are almost, but not completely, cooked. They should be firm, but not tough.
7. Add dill and season with salt and pepper.
8. In a baking pan large enough to hold the okra and fish, spread half the okra evenly on the bottom.
9. Place the fish over it. Spread the remaining okra around and over fish.
10. Bake, covered, until the fish is flaky, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.