Herb-stuffed Breaded Jumbo Olives
This Mediterranean appetizer is crispy, delicious and very impressive.
250 g green pitted olives
1 red onion pureed
1 garlic clove minced
2 slices good-quality ham (optional), minced
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
pinch of cayenne
2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
For the coating
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
olive oil for frying
1. Place the onion, garlic, ham, parsley, olive oil and cayenne in a food processor and pulse on and off until everything is pureed and very creamy and smooth. Remove to a bowl.
2. Using a pastry bag outfitted with a nozzle small enough to fit into the cavity opening of the olive, stuff each olive with the filling.
3. Spread the flour onto one plate and the breadcrumbs onto another.
4. Heat about half an inch of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium flame.
5. Roll the olives in the flour, then in the egg, and finally into the breadcrumbs.
6. Fry over moderate heat until the breadcrumbs have turned golden.
7. Remove, place on paper towels to drain momentarily and serve.