Rice: Strawberry Risotto (risotto alle fragole)
This is a delicious twist on the classic risotto recipe with just a hint of strawberry flavor.
400g Arborio or Carnaroli rice
300g strawberries, blended to a puree
1 onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp. butter
300 ml white wine
1 -1.5 liters vegetable stock
100g freshly grated parmesan
2 tbsp mascarpone cheese or butter to finish
1. Prepare two pots: a large short sauté-style one where you will make the rice and a smaller one to heat up the stock.
*The stock should be kept below boiling point. Because the amount of stock that you will use up is not always the same, have a kettle with hot water in hand in order to use it if you run out of stock.
2. Heat 3 tbsp of butter in the sauté-style pot until hot and add the chopped onion. Swirl around with a wooden spoon until translucent but not brown.
3. Add the rice. Try to coat it well with the butter and be careful because it easily sticks to the bottom of the pan. After a couple of minutes add the 1 cup of white wine and turn down the heat to medium.
4. From here onwards take it slowly: when the wine evaporates start adding the stock a ladle-spoon at a time. Each time it evaporates add the next one etc. The whole process should take about 15 minutes. The rice should not be very soft, but al dente, and it should not be dry, but thick and creamy.
5. Just before the rice has cooked completely stir in the strawberry purée and continue cooking.
6. When the risotto is ready, remove form heat and let it stand covered for one minute. Then, stir in the 2 tbsp butter or mascarpone cheese.
7. Finally, stir in the grated Parmesan and serve immediately. Have some extra Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper in hand in case people want extra.