Lenten Tomato Soup
An easy to make soup, perfect for people on a diet, vegetarians or those who love simplicity.
- 1 kg of tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and grated
- 3 cups (720 ml) of water
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (240 ml) of red or white wine
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 tbs of celery, finely sliced
- ½ cup (120 ml) of olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups of small macaroni
Place the tomatoes and the water in a pan and bring to a boil.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the macaroni, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove the onion and the garlic, add the macaroni and cook until the pasta is ready.
If the soup becomes too thick, add a little water to thin it.
Season with salt and pepper.