Figs and Walnut Dessert
This sweet and nutty combination is healthy and delicioius. Serve the figs with a dollop of thick strained yoghurt or sour cream.
12 dried figs
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
12 whole cloves
1 cup strained Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- Finely chop walnuts
- Snip off the stem of the figs. Open up the figs with your thumb, so that they look like a small cup.
1. In a small bowl, combine the nuts, sugar, and cinnamon, and stuff each fig with a little of the mixture. Pat the figs closed, and stud each one with a clove at the stem end.
2. Pack the figs upright tightly in a saucepan just large enough to hold them in one layer.
3. Pour in enough water to come one-third up the way of the figs, and cover the pan.
4. Heat the figs over medium-low heat, bringing the water to a boil, and let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the figs are soft and plump. Add more water if necessary while the figs simmer.
5. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.