Classic French Soup, Bouillabaisse
Το serve bouillabaisse, place a soup dish and a dinner plate at each place setting. Serve the fιsh first so guests can remove skin, shells, and bones before transferring flesh to soup. Ladle a slice of bread into each serving of soup.
2 kg fish (rockfίsh, seabass, etc.)
10-12 mussels and cockles
½ cup oliνe oil
4 cloves garlic
1 fennel bulb
2-3 medium tomatoes
1 bay Ieaf
1 ½ sprig parsley
10saffron threads, softened in a little warm water
freshly ground black pepper
1 litre water, boiling
1 baguette, thinly sliced (or other bread with crust removed)
FOR ROUILLE (GARLlC SAUCE)
1 thick slice bread
2 cloves garlic
1 small chilli pepper
200 ml. olive οίl
- Clean fish. Cut into large pieces.
- Chop the vegetables into the size and shape you choose. Remeber that you will be seeing all of them as you eat so make them look pretty!
- Skin and dice the tomato
1. Heat one-half the olive oil in a large soup pot and sauté onion with garlic. Add leek, fennel, carrots, tomato, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cook gently for about 10 mins.
2. Add boiling water and cook vegetables for another 10 mins.
3. Add fish, remaining olive oil, and saffron; cook for 5-10 mins.
4. Add shellfish; cook for 5 mins more.
5. Τoast or lightly fry bread. Arrange on the bottom of a soup tureen.
6. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fιish and shellfish to a warm serving platter. Strain soup into tureen over bread.
Making Rouille .
1. Soak bread in lukewarm water. Crush garlic and chilli in mortar. Squeeze water from bread and add to garlic pulp. Gradually beat in olive oil until a smooth sauce forms.
2. Τransfer rouille to a bowl and serve with bouillabaissie with fresh bread.