Artichokes Simmered with Carrots, Potatoes and Herbs
Meaty artichokes combined with colorful vegetables making this an ideal and satisfying Vegan summer meal.
6-8 large globe artichokes
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
4 medium-sized potatoes
3-4 large carrots
1 bunch dill
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tbs all-purpose flour
juice of 1 large lemon
water or light broth
extra lemons for garnish
- Clean the artichokes and them into the lemon water to keep them from discoloring
- Coarsely chop scalions
- Peel and chop garlic
- Peel, wash and cut potatoes in large cubes
- Peel, wash and cut carrots into 1/4 inch rounds
- Snip dill
1. In a large stewing pot, heat the olive oil and cook the scallions and garlic over low-medium heat until wilted.
2. Add the carrots and toss to coat.
3. Add the potatoes and toss to coat.
4. Add enough water to the pot to barely cover the vegetables.
5. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Combine the flour and lemon juice to make a thick paste and add this to the pot, stirring to mix well.
7. Add the artichokes to the pot, season with salt and pepper, and pour in enough water to barely cover all the vegetables.
8. Simmer, covered, for about 35-40 minutes, until the artichokes are fork tender.
9. About 5 minutes before removing from heat add the dill.
10. Remove and serve, either warm or at room temperature, garnished with cut lemons.