Algerian Fish Soup
Nearly every country has its own traditional fish soup, here we present you with the Algerian one which, unlike its rather rough and homey cuisine, is smooth in texture and delicate!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large spanish onion
2 cloves garlic
1 can whole tomatoes
1 tsp paprika
a pinch of crushed saffron
salt and pepper to taste
2 large potatoes
3 stalks of celery
2 cups of chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs firm white fish
- Dice the celery stalks
- Roughly cut the onion and the potatoes
1. Heat oil in a large pan and sauté onion until translucent.
2. Add garlic and tomatoes and continue to simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Add spices, potatoes and broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add fish and continue to cook until the fish flakes.
5. Purée soup in blender or food processor.Optional: Pass through a sieve for a finer texture.
6. Return to stove and simmer over low heat for an additional 10 minutes.