Grilled Sardines with Broad Bean Salad
The burnt bits of oregano add a lovely aroma and flavor to the salty sardines which are perfectly complemented by the creamy broad beans.
1 kg of fresh broad beans
1 bulb fennel chopped
olive oil and vinegar, whisked together
salt and pepper
8 large sardines
sprigs of fresh oregano
1. Shell the broad beans. Blanch in boiling, salted water for no more than 2 minutes.
2. Immediately immerse in cold water to stop cooking.
3. Peel and discard the outer skins of the beans and combine them in a salad bowl with the oil and vinegar dressing, which has previously been flavored with the garlic cloves.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with plenty of finely chopped fennel.
5. Brush the sardines with olive oil and grill on a layer of fresh oregano sprigs, for approximately 2 minutes per side. For char grilling or cooking in a fireplace, vine shoots make an ideal heat source.
6. Otherwise, using the oregano sprigs which are ideal, cook the sardines on a hot, cast iron grill or even a very hot non stick one.