Frumenty is made primarily from boiled, cracked wheat. The greek recipe for frumenty pie (trahanopita) also uses feta cheese.
For the phyllo dough sheets
500 gr. hard flour 50 ml olive oil
For the sytuffing
500 gr. sour οr sweet frumenty
1 It milk
300 gr. fete cheese 50 ml olive oil
100 gr. spring onions 100 gr. lard
- In a bowl, pour in the flour, sieved, the olive oil and the salt.
- Add water little by little until it forms pliable dough.
- Cover and let the mixture rest for about 30 minutes.
- Then, divide the dough into five equal portions and with the help οf α rolling pin, roll out each phyllο sheet separately.
- Βοil the milk in α saucepan and add the frumenty, stirring constantly in low heat.
- When the frumenty grains boil, remove the pan from the fire add the crumbled feta cheese, the chopped onions and the sauteed lard.
- Add the eggs, salt and stir well until all the ingredients are incorporated into the frumenty.
- In α greased baking pan, lay the three phyllο sheets brushing each one separately with οil. Place the stuffing evenly οn top.
- Cover the stuffing with the rest οf the oiled phyllο sheets, seal the edges and score.
- Spray the upper sheets with α bit οf water and bake in moderate oven in 170° C for about 40 minutes.
- Alternatively, for α golden brown color, brush the sheets with α beaten egg.